Friday, February 11, 2011

Feature Friday: Subway Art


It's everywhere!

What started out at a graffiti movement has now become a mainstream decorating phenomenon!

In college I took this fantastic class on Typography.

(I know. A whole class about Typography. Many of you are probably thinking, "How boring." or "How does a class about letters take up an entire semester?" But I was a Graphic Design/Illustration major...and I found it fascinating. Ask anyone who knows me...they'll tell you that I have a font library on my computer that rivals the National Archives. I'm obsessed. Just kidding. Sort of.)

ANYWAY...

Subway art takes all sorts of funky, junky, classic, basic, serif, sans-serif, and any other font styles you like, and throws them all together to create art, usually based around a theme:

Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Families, Art, Hobbies, Kids, Cooking, etc. You name it...it's ART.

The best part? There are all sorts of fun DIY projects being done out there with this great Typographic style! I LOVE it! It's modern, clean, but can fin into ANY decor style!

Here are some of my favorites taken from some fantastic craft bloggers:


Valentine Subway Art by Eighteen25:





Family Rules by The V Spot:




Kitchenaid Mixer Subway Art by House of Smiths:




Christmas Subway Art by Craftily Ever After:





Inspiring Quote Subway Art by Shannon Makes Stuff:





Laundry Room Subway Art by Infarrantly Creative:





Sporty Subway Art by It Is What It Is:





Past Addresses by Tatertots & Jello:




As you can see there's no end to what you can make special with a little Subway art of your own!! (I know I have some ideas I can't wait to try out!!) Check out all the links...many of them have FREE printables available for making your very own Subway Art creations!! Have a great weekend! Happy crafting!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic